MAGNETIC NANOMATERIALS LABORATORIES:
Prof. Dr. Arif Mumtaz
Dr. Ghulam Hassnain Jaffari
Major Research Facilities:
- DC and AC magnetometry facilities using Quantum Design Physical Properties Measurement System (PPMS) with 6T magnet and in-field transport accessory.
- Pulsed Laser Deposition System with Nd-YAG laser operating from 1024 to 266nm.
- Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) with magnetic force microscopy (MFM) and conductive force microscopy options.
- Spectrophotometer for reflectance and transmission studies in the UV/Vis/NIR.
- X-ray Diffractometer for powder pattern studies.
- Closed cycle He system for low field DC and AC magnetizations and ferroelectric studies.
- Solid state reaction, chemical route preparation and spin coating facilities.
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES:
- The research activities of the Magnetic Nanostructures group are focused on the development, characterization and studies of nanostructures such as nanoparticles, thin films and nanocomposites.
- We are currently studying the effects of finite size, surface effects and interparticle separations on the magnetic, semiconducting and multiferroic properties.
- Exchange bias, half metallicity, phase separation and coexistence of ferroelectric and ferromagnetic behavior and band gap variations with size are some of our current research themes.
- Atomic and magnetic force microscopy is being used to determine physical parameters at the nanoscale.